Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Spring has sprung

Hello...I guess it's time I update my blog. I do enjoy doing it, it's just finding time and being inspired to write something meaningful are hard to find sometimes.

Can I just say...life is pretty sweet right now. I had to hit alot of bumps in January and February, but March and April have been pretty splendid and even though nothing extreme has happened, I can't help but smile. I am just really happy! Anyway...enough about me, now on to food.

I am seriously excited about spring, it's always a season of re-birth and growth...which means flowers and planting!Yay! Luckily, we had a pretty dry, warm, mild winter, which may not be great for many plants or even the environment, but I'm no fan of snow! I am excited about the flowers blooming, I always see it as a sign of goodness and hope :)

So anyway, I apologize for the scatterbrained thoughts in this post. Now I want to talk about some kewl things. Yes I spelled cool "kewl", because well frankly it's better than "cool".  I will now talk about fooooood and  helping out the local economy.

To begin...back in January, when a whole bunch of nonsense and negative things happened, I decided I was going to turn my life around and make the best of every situation (and boy has it helped!!) . So, I decided to organize a supper club with my friends, which focused on bringing in homemade and local products to a dinner. After long facebook exchanges, a group of about 7 or 8 of us got together at the end of February and brought a whole bunch of wonderful foods, as we tried new things and expanded our palates.

Each person made something different, we had a homemade pizza that I made, using perecca's pizza dough (which is a local bakery in schenectady), items such as the olives and prosciutto were also purchased from there, which although they were imported, helped a local business. The arugla that topped the pizza was purchased at the Troy's Farmer's Market, the fresh mozzerella was also made locally!  If you'd like my recipe, let me know...I'd be happy to share.

Other items that were present at the supper club included meatloaf cupcakes which were made from scratch, they had a mashed potato frosting and bacon crumbles on top, those were made by Angela. JT made a delicious pesto from scratch using fresh basil and also made crostini. Kaitlyn made a shredded vegetable lettuce wrap with a homemade sauce (Kaitlyn you'll have to give me the full name), that was something that I had never tried before and when I tried it, well my mouth was never the same, it tasted so clean and delicious! My mom came and made prosciutto and hatch chili pepper (from New Mexico) quesdillas, she also made lamb lollipops with a great crusting. Jenn, who was doing the Paleo food challenge at the time, made Paleo friendly deviled eggs, which I heard were delicious...I didn't have any, simply because I am not a big egg fan, sorry Jenn!! Jess brought cookies from the cookie factory, which is a local bakery located in Troy, NY...All items that were brought were purchased from local markets, companies, and farmers markets and some of the products were organic. Mary also brought Kentucky Fried Chicken, which is a chain, but you know we all love our fried chicken! Fried chickpeas, homemade iced tea, and water with lemon, mint, and lime also accompanied the dinner. It was a great success and we plan on doing it again really soon. You can see some of the food below!!

Having a supper club is a great way to think about our environment, we used all recycled products!! It's also a great way to open up to new flavors and new treats. We often don't think about the food that we consume or what is included in it, so it was great to share our prep stories, where we bought it from, and all the love and pride that when into making it. We planned on having NYS wine too, but we didn't get a chance to enjoy that.

I think that with the change in seasons you should try something like this. Think about ways you can support your local economy and eat, drink, and be merry with friends in a healthy and environmentally friendly way.

I love cooking, baking, planting, helping the local economy and growing food. I think it is something that brings us together. I hope that you'll consider doing a supper club and organizing different themes while thinking locally.

Enjoy spring and have a fabulous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment