Thursday, January 31, 2013

So fresh and So clean....

I'm back, I'm back, I'm back. I apologize for being on an 8th month hiatus...I kind of laid low this summer and just had no ambition to write ANYTHING. I did, however, complete the Warrior Dash in New York State in August...how's that for a girl who had open heart surgery? I was proud of that moment. After that I went on vacation and indulged in local raw oysters...because ones from the DelMarVa area are just, simply wonderful. Aren't they? I am a little bias. I went kayaking on vacation too in the Assawoman Wildlife refuge...it was amazing...and I saw mussel beds...and a couple getting engaged under the moonlight (so romantic...that would be such a darling engagement). Anyway...after that I came back and started 14 grueling weeks of student teaching to finish my graduate degree. My first placement was with 27 first graders in an urban school district...they were amazing kids. My second placement was with 22 fourth graders...also amazing kids...who LOVED to learn about keeping the environment clean (maybe I'll upload the flyer they made).I just love when kids start with caring and compassion at such a young age, I think it's important for building good character. Anyway after I was done with student teaching it was christmas time...and then I got really really really sick with bronchitis (again...I had it in sept and october...and it got me again in december)...so now it brings us to January...the month I love to hate... the month when things are new again, but then something happens...and leaves you sitting there dumbfounded as to what you did and why it happened...so hopefully that goes away real soon.
 
So on the food front, I hope you are all working to support your local economy, especially now...especially in the winter when some businesses struggle. I think it's great to hear when local restaurants, businesses, and bakeries support each other. It warms the cockles of my heart. The other day my mother and I were chomping down on crawfish etoufee and alligator bites (not local), but we were talking to the owner and chef who have a stand at the local farmers market, which we go to every sunday...and they were telling us about the ingredients they purchase at the local farmers market to put into their dishes at the restaurant, which is a relief, because then you really get to know where the food your eating is coming from. I love seeing chefs, restaurateurs, etc, at farmers market and makes me want to go to those restaurants more, because I know where the ingredients came from and know they will be fresh. I just think fresh food-vegetables, poultry, meat, game, etc...is so much better that way.
 
So next time you go out to eat at a non-chain restaurant...talk to the owner or chef, and see where they are getting the ingredients from. Freshness matters. That is all.
 
Oh also, when you are out dining...look at the wine list, see if they have a wine from your state...I always like seeing NYS wines featured on wine list at a restaurant in NYS. Props to the President for having a Finger Lakes Wine on the menu for the Inaugural Luncheon.

No comments:

Post a Comment